What is Finasteride?
Finasteride is a synthetic drug used for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is also used for treating the androgenetic alopecia – male pattern hair loss. Finasteride forbids transition of testosterone hormone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in male bodies with an enlarged prostate. It works as an 5-alpha-reductase, thus reducing the products of enzimatic reaction, i.e. lowers the level of testosterone conversion to dihydrotestosterone.
It is highly recommended to inform your healthcare provider, doctor or pharmacist if allergic to Finasteride, or in case of allergies to medicines, foods or other substances whatsoever. Finasteride contains inactive ingredients, usage of which may lead to allergic reactions or other complications.
This substance should NOT be used, under any condition, by children and/or women in pregnancy or that might be pregnant.
Before using Finasteride:
- Inform your doctor about your medical history
- Consult with your health care provider/doctor of any allergic reactions to any previously used drugs
Important information before using Finasteride
Avoid usage of Finasteride in case of the following medical conditions:
- Liver cancer; abnormal liver functions or liver complications.
- Urinary problems; prostate cancer; narrowing or blockage in urinary tract;
- Allergic reactions to other drugs, food or other substances;
- Pregnancy; woman who is pregnant or plans to become pregnant;
- Using other drugs – prescription or non-prescription medicines, herbal preparations, dietary supplements or any other medicinal substances.
Finasteride should never be used by children and/or woman in pregnancy. This substance may be absorbed through the skin. In case of the tampered tablet film coating, it should not be handled by women during pregnancy or that plan to become pregnant. If direct contact took place, it is highly recommended to wash the area with soap and water right away. Inform your doctor accordingly.
Usage of Finasteride may eventually increase the level of risk of developing prostate cancer.
It is highly recommended to contact your health care provider in case of noticing any breast lumps, nipple discharge, or any other applicable breast modifications.
It is mandatory to consult a doctor and show him the medical history and the list of all the medications you use to take, including prescription and non-prescription drugs before starting to use Finasteride.
How to use Finasteride?
It is highly recommended to carefully read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by your healthcare provider or pharmacist prior to starting the administration of the medication and/or each time you get a refill. Finasteride comes as a tablet to be taking by mouth with or without food. Normally you should take this tablet once a day or as prescribed by your doctor, at the same time every single day. Take the medication accordingly to the prescription, do not use more or less than prescribed by your doctor.
Note that in case you administrate Finasteride medicine with the purpose of treating BHP, it may take up to six months for your symptoms to be improved.
In case you administrate Finasteride tablets with the purpose of treating male pattern hair loss, it may take up to three months to see the improvements. In case you do not see any improvements even after 12 months of the administration of the medication, further usage most probably will not bring positive results. For more information make sure to consult your healthcare provider.
Make sure to use the medication accordingly to the prescription and not stop the administration of it without consulting your doctor, as normally Finasteride may control your condition, but will not cure it.
You should be getting your prescription refilled before you run out of the medication, in order not to lose the gained effects.
Visit your doctor regularly and inform him/her in case of any harmful effects.
Possible side effects with Finasteride
Along with the wanted symptoms treatment Finasteride may cause some less and more serious side effects. It is highly recommended to contact your healthcare provider in case any of the above mentioned side effects take place:
- Decrease in sexual desire
- Pain in the testicles
- Issues with having or maintaining an erection
- Issues with the ejaculation process (including a decreased volume of semen)
- Stomach and/or back pains
Some of the side effects can be more serious and in case they become disturbing make sure to contact your healthcare provider immediately. Serious side effects are as following:
- Changes in the breasts appearance (increased size), lumps, pain and/or nipple discharge
- Swelling of the face and/or lips
- Difficulty with breathing and/or swallowing
Aside from the above mentioned side effects, Finasteride may cause other ones as well. It is highly recommended to contact your doctor in case you notice any have any odd issues appear while using this medication.
The administration of Finasteride may lead to the increased level of risk to develop a high-grade prostate cancer (the type of prostate cancer that has an abnormal speed spreading and growing, as the process may become faster than any other types of the prostate cancer). Contact your healthcare provider in order to obtain more information about the possible risks while administrating Finasteride medications, as those may vary in terms of each person’s organism specific characteristics.
Interaction with other drugs
Before administration of Finasteride you should inform your healthcare provider about usage of any other prescribed medications, street drugs, non-prescription and herbal medications, allergies, etc.
Finasteride may interact with the following drugs:
- Significant interactions: carbamazepine, cimetidine, clarithromycin, erythromycin base, erythromycin ethylsuccinate, erythromycin lactobionate, erythromycin stearate, isoniazid, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, nevirapine, rifabutin, rifampin, st john's wort.
- Minor interactions: amobarbitalm, aprepitant, armodafinil, artemether/lumefantrine, atazanavir, bosentan, budesonide, butabarbital, butalbital, clobetasone, conivaptan, cortisone, cyclosporine, darifenacin, darunavir, dasatinib, deflazacort, delavirdine, dexamethasone, dhea, diltiazem, dronedarone, efavirenz, eslicarbazepine, ethotoin, etravirine, eucalyptus, fluconazole, fludrocortisone, fluvoxamine, fosamprenavir, fosphenytoin, grapefruit, griseofulvin, hexobarbital, hydrocortisone, indinavir, lapatinib, lumefantrine, marijuana, mephobarbital, methylprednisolone, metronidazole, mibefradil, miconazole vaginal, modafinil, nelfinavir, nifedipine, nilotinib, oxcarbazepine, oxiconazole, pentobarbital, phenobarbital, phenytoin, posaconazole, prednisolone, prednisone, primidone, quinupristin/dalfopristin, rifapentine, ritonavir, rufinamide, saw, palmetto, secobarbital, sitaxentan, telithromycin, topiramate, triamcinolone, troglitazone, troleandomycin, verapamil, voriconazole, zafirlukast.
Make sure not to administrate testosterone supplements while taking Finasteride. Do not share any medications with other people, and do not use medications without having a prescription issued by your healthcare provider.
An interaction between medications does not imply stopping the administration of one of them.
Interactions may be intended or managed by a close monitoring with the purpose of symptoms treatment.
Keep in mind that it is a must to inform your healthcare provider or medications prescriber about any supplements that you take and or caffeine, alcohol, nicotine from cigarettes, etc.
If you miss doses
In case you miss a dose of your prescribed Finasteride it is highly recommended to take it as soon as possible. However, if it is time or almost the time to take the next dose you should skip the missed one and proceed further with the administration of the medication accordingly to the dosing schedule. Under no condition you should take extra medication. In order for the treatment to be effective it is a must to maintain prescribed dosing schedule while taking Finasteride (both Proscar and Prospecia).
How to store Finasteride?
Finasteride medication does not call upon special storage conditions. However, it should be kept at the room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (or 15 and 30 degrees C). Keep it in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Under no condition it should be stored in the bathroom. Make sure the medication is out of reach of children and pets.
Do not take this medication after the expiration date. Do not take this medication in case of visible defects or deterioration signs.
Finasteride Brand Names:
|Drug Name||Comments / Reviews||Rating||Score|
|Proscar / Propecia||1||0.00|